Wetlands State Resource Locator Back to State Resource Locators Feedback

Wetlands State Resource Locator


Note: Most states have enacted laws and regulations to protect wetlands. In many cases, these rules are established to define the state's role in the "404 permit/401 certification process." This process involves the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and your state environmental agency. To learn more about the wetlands permitting process go to the CICA /Permit page.

Primary State Wetlands Web Page. This web page should explain the state wetlands program and provide links to various wetlands resources.

Construction Permit Process - State Rules

  • How Are Wetlands Activities Regulated by Wyoming? Department of Environmental Quality's (DEQ) Division of Water Quality regulates wetlands under the Wyoming Wetlands Act and the state's water quality standards.

  • Mitigation Measures. Point or nonpoint sources of pollution shall not cause the destruction, damage, or impairment of naturally occurring wetlands unless they are mitigated through an authorized wetland mitigation process. Mitigation actions can be approved after the DEQ considers the ecological functions and value of the disturbed wetland.

Regulatory Definitions

  • Wetlands. Wetlands are areas with hydrophytic vegetation, hydric soils and wetland hydrology.

  • Wetland Categories.

  • Regulated Wetland Activities. Persons cannot cause or threaten to allow the discharge of any pollution or wastes into state waters; alter the physical, chemical, radiological, biological, or bacteriological properties of any state waters; construct, install, modify or operate any sewerage system, treatment works, disposal system, or other facility capable of causing of causing or contributing to pollution; increase the quantity and strength of discharge; or construct, install, modify, or operate any public water supply or construct any subdivision water supply. Persons also may not drain water from a naturally occurring or man-made wetland that is five acres or more without first notifying the DEQ.

  • Exempt Wetland Activities. The DEQ does not have to be notified when wetlands less than five acres are drained or when wetlands are disturbed because of mining operations conducted under a mining permit.

Wetland Regulatory Background Information

Other Wetland Resources Permit and 401 Certification Forms

Organizations/Non-Government Programs

  • Water Environment Federation. The WEF Web site provides access to a wetlands related technical discussion area, as well as publications and other information on wetlands.

  • Wetlands Regulation Center. The Wetlands Regulation Center Web site contains information on laws, policies and regulations concerning activities regulated under Sections 401 and 404 of the Clean Water Act.

  • The National Association of Wetland Managers. The National Association of Wetland Managers web site provides information on wetlands news and events, including new regulations/legislation, upcoming conferences and events, publications, and more.

  • Society of Wetland Scientists. The Society of Wetland Scientists Web site provides access to on-line scientific wetlands journals and a wetlands discussion forum, as well as information on upcoming wetlands conferences and events.

Select another state

Feedback Form

If you found a broken link or a mistake of any sort, or if you would like to comment on this resource, please use this form to do so.

Category of feedback:

Enter your comment, description of the correction, additional or broken link (please provide the correct or additional link if possible) or let us know what you were looking for that you did not find.

Your contact information