Industrial Stormwater State Resource Locator Back to State Resource Locators Feedback

Industrial Stormwater State Resource Locator


Activities that take place at industrial facilities, such as material handling and storage, are often exposed to the weather. As runoff from rain or snowmelt comes into contact with these activities, it can pick up pollutants and transport them to a nearby storm sewer or directly to a river, lake, or coastal water. To minimize the impact of stormwater discharges from industrial facilities, the Department of Environmental Protection regulates industrial stormwater for 10 categories of industrial activity. Those regulations require authorization under an industrial stormwater permit or certification that industrial activities are not exposed to stormwater runoff.

In Massachusetts the US EPA issues industrial stormwater permits. To apply for coverage under the general permit, file an application using US EPA's "eNOI" system (or "electronic NOI system"). The permit must be renewed every five years. All industrial stormwater permits include the requirement that a stormwater pollution prevention plan (SWPPP) be developed and implemented.

Alternatively, you may certify that your industrial activities are not exposed to stormwater runoff by submitting a "no exposure certification." As long as the condition of "no exposure" exists at a certified facility, the operator is excluded from industrial stormwater permit requirements. The no-exposure certification must be re-submitted every five years. If conditions change at the facility and materials or activities become exposed, the facility must immediately file for a stormwater permit.

In addition to these federal rules, you may be required to meet additional local stormwater regulations. Check with your city or county government to determine if additional local rules apply to your industrial facility.

For Indian Country lands in Massachusetts, U.S. EPA is the permitting authority for construction stormwater discharges. For more information, see EPA Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP).

Use the Massachusetts and U.S. EPA links below to locate permit application forms, no-exposure certification forms and guidance documents.

Industrial Stormwater Information for Massachusetts

U.S. EPA Industrial Stormwater Resources

Select another state

Feedback Form

If you found a broken link or a mistake of any sort, or if you would like to comment on this resource, please use this form to do so.

Category of feedback:

Enter your comment, description of the correction, additional or broken link (please provide the correct or additional link if possible) or let us know what you were looking for that you did not find.

Your contact information